Tuesday, July 05, 2005

thumbnail

A Brian Williams Apology - Durbin Style!


Nightly News with Brian Willliams

Brian Williams statement from his 'blog' on OUR misunderstanding about hearing him comparing the founding fathers to terrorists:

"Today, apparently, on some radio talk shows and blogs, my friends in the media have accused me of labeling George Washington a terrorist. They apparently missed my point: That the BRITISH CROWN might have viewed American revolutionaries that way.

My question — and specifically the line, "what would it all matter..." was meant to address the popular support within Iran for those who acted against the U.S. and are now in positions of power. Those of you who are regular readers of our blog know we spoke about this very issue yesterday in our afternoon editorial meeting.

All I ask is that people re-read what was said on the air. I've talked to several viewers today, and one conversation I actually enjoyed was with a woman from Virginia, who said, "These days, you just can't use the word TERRORIST for anything but a TERRORIST." And I take this nice woman's point about the power of words in our current climate.

While I insist that a re-reading of my question will prove that in no way was I calling the framers "terrorists" (for starters, the word did not exist 229 years ago), I regret that anyone thought that after a life spent reading and loving American history, I had suddenly changed my mind about the founders of our nation."

Brian, Brian - why even make the comparison if the term didn't exist 229 years ago? Surely one who has "spent a life reading and loving American history" and yet would even offer that comparison, would be considered in elite academic circles, "a doofus".

Therefore, Brian, a simple, "I'm a Chowderhead, I'm sorry", would have sufficed.

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Pages

Pages

Pages - Menu

Macsmind - Official Blog of The MacRanger Show on Blog Talk Radio

About

Go here.