Saturday, April 01, 2006

thumbnail

Just One Minute

Evidently Jill Carroll released a statement today:

"During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me they would let me go if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. I agreed.

Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views.

They are not. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends—and all those around the world, who have prayed so fervently for my release—through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this.

I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn’t threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times.

Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: That I refused to travel and cooperate with the US military and that I refused to discuss my captivity with US officials. Again, neither is true."


"I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word...." How convenient.

Then there is this post from Rick Moran:

"I will not name names nor link to bloggers who thought the worst of Miss Carroll. They and their readers know who they are and I trust they will be suitably chastised. And if they have an ounce of integrity, they will write a public apology."

Not so fast....

Speaking of "integrity"...

As Great White said, Once bitten, twice shy. Her statement is - well - good, except for one little tidbit.

According to ranking contact in Landstuhl today, the last part of her statement is simply not true. She did resist. They reason those facts were "widely reported" is that they came from the sources who knew.

So let's hold the apologies and the floggings for now eh? There is more to come.

Just to repeat......""Voice: Do you have a message for Mr. Bush?

Carroll: (Laughs)Yeah, he needs to stop this war. He knows this war is wrong. He knows that it was illegal from the very beginning. He knows that it was built on a mountain of lies and I think he needs to finally admit that to the American people and make the troops go home and he doesn’t care about his own people."


Comment from a senior AI reviewing the tape "Are those the words a terrorist would write out?...., and that little laugh - doesn't sound a bit duressed to me....sounds a bit "sincere".

UPDATE I: Another piece, "a letter of appreciation".



UPDATE II: If WAPO Ellen Knickmeyer (Iraq doom and gloom queen) is coming to Jill's defense - my antennae are literally on fire now.

UPDATE III: Debbie Schlussel has an updated post taking "suddenly progressive" conservative bloggers to task for their quick condemnation of other bloggers who have the audacity to question Carroll's avowed pro-Arab stance and consequently anti-Israel stance.

From what I'm gathering today and what will come out this week will place the egg firmly where it belongs. It's time to take the blinders off folks.

UPDATE IV: Just for the record, this story, checked out. One wonders then why didn't her paper report the happening after they were notified immediately after the arrest. Again, think about it.

Boy...didn't take long for the "Nazi" comparisons to creep out of the cracks. Lame.



Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Pages

Pages

Pages - Menu

Macsmind - Official Blog of The MacRanger Show on Blog Talk Radio

About

Go here.